[Haskell-cafe] Cabal install on Windows 7

Jeff Wheeler jeff at nokrev.com
Wed Sep 9 22:18:12 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Sebastian
Sylvan<sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it's morally right to run as user by default. Yes, the windows
> culture has some legacy that may, on occasion, make it slightly harder to
> use "well behaved" programs, but it's fairly minor these days.

I strongly agree. Presently, on Windows 7, I have to right-click and
"Run As Administrator" and then approve the process via UAC to get
anything done under the default --global setting, in much the same way
I would have to launch a root terminal and provide my password within
GNOME (a la gksu) or other *nix environments (Windows doesn't have
anything like sudo, as far as I know).

Since it works essentially the same as *nix does, as of Windows 7, I
see no reason for a different default.

Jeff Wheeler