[Haskell-cafe] Cabal install on Windows 7

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 9 11:39:00 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 16:59 +0200, Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
> Yes, it's true that most people tended to be administrators on their
> own Windows desktops, but since Vista, this has changed.
>
> Now in Vista, some people still forced admin rights, to get rid of the
> many annoying dialog boxes that popped up for every tiny task that
> might be a security breach.
>
> But it seems that under Windows 7 this is less intrusive, so we might
> consider having the Haskell Platform work well by default without
> assuming admin rights? Or at least the installer should clearly tell
> you about it, or provide an option.

It's always been my view that it should work without admin privileges.
It's only been very recently that I've had access to a Windows
installation where I am admin.

What you need to do is to get the Windows users to agree on what the
sensible defaults should be. If you conclude that actually it needs
something more complicated like interacting with Windows UAC or
something then we'll need to find a volunteer Windows hacker who can
implement it.

The situation we have at the moment is people complaining but nobody
taking action.

Duncan