[Haskell-cafe] Resolving overloading loops for circular constraint graph

Martin Sulzmann martin.sulzmann.haskell at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:57:13 EDT 2009

Your example must loop because as you show below
the instance declaration leads to a cycle.

By "black-holing" you probably mean co-induction. That is,
if the statement to proven appears again, we assume it must hold.
However, type classes are by default inductive, so there's no
easy fix to offer to your problem.

In any case, this is not a bug, you simply play with fire
once type functions show up in the instance context.
There are sufficient conditions to guarantee termination,
but they are fairly restrictive.

-Martin