[Haskell-cafe] problems with HOC install from svn

John Velman velman at cox.net
Wed Sep 9 13:02:45 EDT 2009

I'm guessing the problem was with cabal's use of dlopen (see my inclusion
of error message below).  From some googling, the OS-X dlopen was redone by
apple at some time and from results I obtained, seems to require dylib
libraries unless (some things I don't understand).

It seems that some earlier versions of GHC could use dylibs, but not 6.10.

>From some similar sounding issues I found in the issues part of the HOC
site on code.google, I made a wild guess that using

sudo runhaskell Setup.hs [options]

might work.  It did.  I went all the way through the installation
instructions using this procedure wherever the README file said "cabal".
Everything compiled, linked, and installed in global locations.  Also
compiled and linked one of the examples this way, and it seems to work.

I'll submit an issue to the HOC site (if it will let me -- don't know about
permissions for issues on this site).

Thanks for your interest and help.

John Velman