[Haskell-cafe] Failure to build curl bindings on alpha

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Tue Sep 8 05:12:51 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am the Debian Maintainer of the haskell curl bindings which is failing
to build on the alpha CPU with the following error:

  [7 of 8] Compiling Network.Curl.Easy ( Network/Curl/Easy.hs, dist/build/Network/Curl/Easy.o )

  Network/Curl/Easy.hs:218:0:
     On Alpha, I can only handle 32 bytes of non-floating-point arguments to foreign export dynamic
     When checking declaration:
        foreign import ccall safe "wrapper" mkProgress
          :: ProgressFunction -> IO (FunPtr ProgressFunction)

  Network/Curl/Easy.hs:221:0:
     On Alpha, I can only handle 32 bytes of non-floating-point arguments to foreign export dynamic
     When checking declaration:
        foreign import ccall safe "wrapper" mkDebugFun
          :: DebugFunctionPrim -> IO (FunPtr DebugFunctionPrim)

The GHC version is 6.10.4 and the full Debian build log is here:

   https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=haskell-curl&ver=1.3.5-2&arch=alpha&stamp=1249232593&file=log

I am correct to suspect that this is a bug in ghc rather than in haskell-curl?
Any other useful clues or information?

Cheers,
Erik