[Haskell-cafe] I read somewhere that for 90% of a wide class of computing problems, you only need 10% of the source code in Haskell, that you would in an imperative language.

Shelby Moore shelby at coolpage.com
Sat Oct 31 17:42:18 EDT 2009

Shelby Moore wrote:
> The most accurate question should be, "How do you add some numbers with
> minimized instructions?", because it forces them to realize they must
> order the set.
>
> An answer might be, "Zero if empty, else order the set, sum the first
> number with the sum of remainder of the set. Repeat for the sum of
> remainder."

Realize that I did not write "sort" order.  I am refering to "queue" order
that allows the "first" distinction.  Also by "remainder" means "remaining
portion of" (you are dividing the queue-ordered set by it's "tail" and
thus "head" is the remainder).

I just returned from 130 pushups and 1.2 mile run, and it was more
difficult since I've not gotten out my thinking-cap chair for past 2
weeks.  I wonder if our mental and physical exertion competes for the
limited velocity at which our body can convert fuel to glucose and dump
the cell waste products through the liver?  Many people are already
consumed by other exertions, many which are passive and compulsive (e.g.
TV, reading same topics over and over again which are presented with
superficial differences), which may atrophy their minds in terms of the
brain patterns needed for logical induction.