[Haskell-cafe] ghci REPL output under Haskell Platform on Mac OS X

Mark Lentczner markl at glyphic.com
Sat Oct 31 11:14:20 EDT 2009

My ghci installation has a very annoying behavior: When it takes
input, the result is displayed on the same line as the input,
overwriting the prompt and input.  Viz.:

	[1015] : ghci
	GHCi, version 6.10.4: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
	7relude> 3 + 4
	Prelude>

Note the 7 that overwrites the P in Prelude.

I have had several prior versions of ghci installed, most recently
6.10.1, and they never had this problem. (In other words, I saw:

	Prelude> 3 + 4
	7
	Prelude>

Those prior gchi's were installed from the GHC binaries. Most recently
I decided to give Haskell Platform a try, and I installed that. That
is the point at which this behavior started.

My environment:

	Haskell Platform 2009.2.0.2
	GHC 6.10.4 (installed w/Haskell Platform)
	Mac OS X 10.6.1

Oddly, I have GHC 6.10.4 installed from GHC binaries on a Mac OS X
10.5 machine at work, and the newline behavior is correct. So the
issue could be Haskell Platform vs. GHC installs... or it could be
10.5  vs. 10.6

Anyone seen anything like this?

	- Mark