[Haskell-cafe] How to fulfill the "code-reuse" destiny of OOP?

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 06:32:21 EDT 2009

The following is purely my own experience, I have no links to papers
of clever people :)

I think none of the inheritance techniques work perfectly. E.g.
describing everything with OO interfaces (=a extensible record of
function pointers) is also problematic IMHO, at least when you have
side effects.

The problem with an interface (with side effects) is that people using
the interface tend to depend on the side effects that a particular
implementation of that interface performs. So in order to describe the
"contract" for implementers of an interface, one often has to go into
great detail.

Also in Haskell it is required that an implementers follows the
"contract" when implementing a type class, e.g. when writing a monad,
you must make sure it follows the monad laws. But  at least in
Haskell, this can be proven, while in OO, one has to hope that the
side effects of an implementation won't cause weird behavior
elsewhere. In practice, this seems to work, most of the time :)

The evolution of industrial OO the way I see it, is strange. You start
with assembler, in which it is obvious to extend records. Then comes
C, which makes extending records hard to do without casting and
macros. Then C++, which offers insane ways of extending them (virtual
base classes, multiple inheritance, mixins using templates, ...). Then
to make software components more loosely coupled and maintainable,
Corba & COM enters the picture, and you only use interfaces to
communicate with other objects. Of course COM uses reference counting,
so reusable components is actually just an illusion; in order to avoid
memory leaks, you need to know how objects are connected, which
depends on the implementation... In the meantime Java becomes a
succes. Java is basically "back to basics": it tries to address some
of the flaws of complicated OO, has garbage collection, promises
multi-platform caps, and it is very easy to understand, so people
embrace it. Then C# comes along, which initially is almost the same as
Java, except is has closures, but it evolves towards a functional
language with side effects (even Haskell's FRP will be available in
.NET 4.0, with the Rx framework!). Then to manage large and
complicated software, things like "dependency injection" and
"inversion of control" are introduced, and... we're basically back to
COM in a sense, but now with garbage collection.

So I have the impression that OO is running in circles, and every
iteration tries to pick up some goodies of the previous one, but where
will it end?

Luckily humans seem to have the ability to get things done, whatever
primitive or flawed tools we get. I guess the brain itself it the best
programming language ;)