[Haskell-cafe] wxMac/wxHaskell focus problem, a quick solution

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 10:08:12 EDT 2009

I was trying to go through some of the wxHaskell examples, and they
wouldn't work on my (Tiger) mac. Same thing happened with a few other
wx apps I downloaded from Hackage. A bit of a rummage on the internet
turned up an issue with wxMac[1]. You need to put the haskell
executable in an OSX Application Bundle or you can't get focus on the
window.

Since I don't know how to use XCode (and quickly got bored of trying
to find what I needed to do with it for my needs) I setup an
applescript that builds a bare bones app bundle, with a basic plist
file too.

This is probably something others have gone though and, just in case
it might be some use to others, I stuck it here (might be a little
bit of overkill using Sourceforge, but I wasn't go to pay for the
download space on my blog considering I have zero cash right now).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/makebundle/

The applescript has a perl script in it too, so you'll need perl on
your machine for it to work. Everything you need to know is in the
readme.

Iain

[1] http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/WxMac_Issues#My_app_can.
27t_be_brought_to_the_front.21