[Haskell-cafe] cabal probems with binary/containers packages

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 28 14:58:40 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 07:07 -0700, brian wrote:
> Just found the following file:
> .ghc/powerpc-darwin-6.10.1/pkg-config
> and it is referring to
> Is there anyway to regenerate the file, or is it broken because of a
> problem with the package ?

> >> It all started with this:

> >> HSbinary- (dlopen(libHSbinary-, 9): image not
> >> found)

What's (probably) going on is that you deleted the files for the
binary- package but did not unregister it. You probably also have
other registered packages that depend on binary- (because that's
the version they were built against).

You can use ghc-pkg to forcibly unregister binary- and rebuild
the other packages that depended on it.

Generally I recommend just leaving old packages and rebuilding things
when necessary (which cabal-install will do automatically) rather than
going about deleting or unregistering older versions of packages.