[Haskell-cafe] ANN: GPS package on Hackage

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 01:11:15 EDT 2009

FYI

I've fixed up the GPS package [1] (not previously announced) so it now
has a correct distance calculation, new addVector function, and a
separate module for the KML export functionality.  This is just
something I pretty up if/when I need it; let me know if you find it
useful and I'll be more likely to maintain it.

Features:
For Coordinates (single points)
    Distance, heading and vector calculations
    Typeclass interface that allows other coordinate schemes (ex:
MGRS) to be developed
    Path distance computation
    Minimum distance between distinct paths (trivial, computationally expensive)

For locations (a point at a given time) and trails (lists of locations)
    Speed calculation
    Path smoothing
    Rest location filtering

Basic KML exporting is also available in Data.GPS.KML

TODO
* Some day I'll have a GPS logger and make a parser for the NEMA format.
* Fix or eliminate KML exporting.  This should be a different package
and is currently an ugly hack.
* Add a path intersection algorithm
* Make Data.GPS.MGRS

Thomas