[Haskell-cafe] ANN: GPS package on Hackage

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 01:11:15 EDT 2009

I've fixed up the GPS package [1] (not previously announced) so it now
has a correct distance calculation, new addVector function, and a
separate module for the KML export functionality.  This is just
something I pretty up if/when I need it; let me know if you find it
useful and I'll be more likely to maintain it.

For Coordinates (single points)
    Distance, heading and vector calculations
    Typeclass interface that allows other coordinate schemes (ex:
MGRS) to be developed
    Path distance computation
    Minimum distance between distinct paths (trivial, computationally expensive)

For locations (a point at a given time) and trails (lists of locations)
    Speed calculation
    Path smoothing
    Rest location filtering

Basic KML exporting is also available in Data.GPS.KML

* Some day I'll have a GPS logger and make a parser for the NEMA format.
* Fix or eliminate KML exporting.  This should be a different package
and is currently an ugly hack.
* Add a path intersection algorithm
* Make Data.GPS.MGRS

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/gps