[Haskell-cafe] Is there a way to embed a Haskell interpreter/compiler in a browser. I think this would be a safer language than JavaScript.

Mathijs Kwik bluescreen303 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 03:22:27 EDT 2009

There used to be http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yhc/Javascript, which is
a great plan, but got abandoned (I think).
I still hope something like that will return some day (and not just for
javascript, I would like to compile haskell to java bytecode or .net).

For something that's usable now, have a look at HJScript and HJavaScript.

Those are low-level libraries allowing you to generate javascript safely in
haskell.
Low level because they are the bare minimum that javascript has to offer,
but you can probably easily build more higher-level constructs on top of it
in haskell.

If you need something more stable/complete for now, I advise you to use GWT
(Google Web Toolkit). It compiles java source code into javascript, taking
care of most browser differences and language oddities, and it has a very
nice library to use (also if you don't use java on the server side. It can
create fully independent client-side code). I know, it's not haskell, but
compared to javascript, java is very safe&stable.

Mathijs