[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Data.Stream 0.4

Wouter Swierstra wss at cs.nott.ac.uk
Wed Oct 21 15:44:15 EDT 2009

I'm happy to announce a new release of the Data.Stream library.

  http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Stream

The only change with the previous version has been to add irrefutable
patterns to several function definitions. This is rather delicate
design decision: too many irrefutable patterns could result in thunks
not being evaluated; too few irrefutable patterns could cause your
functions diverge. As a rule of thumb I've chosen only to use
irrefutable patterns in functions that produce streams from streams.
The operations that observe finite information (a prefix, the element
at index i, etc.) do not have have irrefutable patterns and force
evaluation to weak head normal form.

I've uploaded a new version to Hackage. I'd be interested to hear if
any existing code takes a performance hit as a result of these changes.

  Wouter