[Haskell-cafe] x -> String

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 14:46:23 EDT 2009

My GHCi can't do that :o

I just wrote data A = B | C and loaded the file into GHCi. Typing B gives me:

<interactive>:1:0:
    No instance for (Show A)
      arising from a use of `print' at <interactive>:1:0
    Possible fix: add an instance declaration for (Show A)
    In a stmt of a 'do' expression: print it

The error also gives an idea of what GHCi is doing behind the scenes:
it's just calling print, which has a Show constraint.