[Haskell-cafe] Re: Relational Algebra

oleg at okmij.org oleg at okmij.org
Fri Oct 16 03:10:03 EDT 2009

> In hindsight it occurred to me that the algorithm can be abstractly
> expressed in terms of relational algebra for which I need an EDSL.
>
> One concrete implementation could then be an interpreter / compiler to
> SQL, if I choose to use a database backend, and another implementation
> could be a interpretor to in-memory data structures (maps, whathaveyou),
> or a debugger to see if I have got the abstract algorithm right.

Perhaps the CoddFish project (what a great name!) may be relevant here:
	http://wiki.di.uminho.pt/twiki/bin/view/Research/PURe/CoddFish

Perhaps it is the first project that systematically exploited the
connection between functional dependencies in type classes and
functional dependencies among database attributes.