[Haskell-cafe] is proof by testing possible?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Thu Oct 15 03:06:33 EDT 2009

Joe Fredette wrote:
> I fiddled with my previous idea -- the NatTrans class -- a bit, the results
> are here[1], I don't know enough really to know if I got the NT law
> right, or
> even if the class defn is right.
>
> Any thoughts? Am I doing this right/wrong/inbetween? Is there any use
> for a class
> like this? I listed a couple ideas of use-cases in the paste, but I have
> no idea of
> the applicability of either of them.
>
> /Joe
>
> http://hpaste.org/fastcgi/hpaste.fcgi/view?id=10679#a10679

A few problems there:

(1) The |a| should be natural, i.e. universally qualified in the class
methods, not an argument of the typeclass.

(2) Just because there's a natural transformation from F to G does not
mean there's a "related" natural transformation back. The law you want is,

     forall (X :: *) (Y :: *) (f :: X -> Y).
         eta_Y . fmap_F f == fmap_G f . eta_X

(3) There can be more than one natural transformation between two
functors. Which means a type class is the wrong way to go about things
since there can only be one for the set of type parameters. Consider for
instance:

     type F a = [a]
     type G a = [a]

     identity :: F a -> G a