[Haskell-cafe] is proof by testing possible?

Joe Fredette jfredett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 14:22:11 EDT 2009

I mean that, like in the definition of `||`

     True || _ = True
     False || x = x

If you generalize this to `or`-ing a list of inputs, eg:

     foldr (||) False list_of_bools

you can 'short-circuit' the test as soon as you find a 'True' value.
This is actually not the greatest example, since you can't actually
test it in finite number of tests, but you can test "half" the
function by testing a that lists like [True:undefined] or [False,
False, False, ... , True , undefined] return "True".

It's "short-circuiting" in the sense that it (like the `||` function)
doesn't need to see (necessarily) all of it's arguments to return a
correct result.

/Joe