[Haskell-cafe] statistics package and randomness

Michael Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Oct 12 03:25:43 EDT 2009

I'm trying to learn how to use randomness in Haskell and it seems very
non-straightforward and complex. I could do a lot of things using 'split'
from System.Random, but apparently it's broken. There is the statistics
package here:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/statistics

Is this a better solution?

It uses the ST monad in the RandomVariate module. Can someone point me to a
tutorial explaining ST, and/or a tutorial in the RandomVariate module?

Pseudorandomness seems like one case where it would just be a hell of a lot
simpler to have a global generator--never split the state. Is the ST monad
some way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Mike