[Haskell-cafe] Libraries for Commercial Users

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 07:47:43 EDT 2009

On 8 Oct 2009, at 00:41, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On 2009-10-02 09:03 -0600 (Fri), John A. De Goes wrote:
>
>> [Haskell] is missing many key libraries that would be of great
>> commercial value.
>
> Just out of curiousity, can you give me some examples of what you feel
> these are?

Relational database libraries that work and have proper documentation
i.e. those homework killers - examples, not just API docs or half
finished wikis. Just google up how to connect to a database in any
well-used (commercially) language and there will be a ton of fully
fleshed out docs with examples I can cut n paste from.* No thinking,
no time wasted, just get it done and get on with the real stuff.
Haskell doesn't have that, and Happs isn't going to replace all those
databases out there. (yet)

*If you don't like the idea of cut n paste coding don't complain to
me, it's given me a career and I'm grateful for that.

Iain