[Haskell-cafe] Re: Num instances for 2-dimensional types

Joe Fredette jfredett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:44:19 EDT 2009

A ring is an abelian group in addition, with the added operation (*)
being distributive over addition, and 0 annihilating under
multiplication. (*) is also associative. Rings don't necessarily need
_multiplicative_ id, only _additive_ id. Sometimes Rings w/o ID is
called a Rng (a bit of a pun).

/Joe