[Haskell-cafe] What *is* a DSL?

Joe Fredette jfredett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 11:26:11 EDT 2009

Let me add to this, as I've used the term "DSL" without (*gasp*) fully
understanding it before.

In addition to "What is a DSL", I'd like to ask:

"How is a DSL different from an API?" -- in the sense that an API is a
set of, say, combinators to filter email + a monad in which to combine
them. Or even the API in the more traditional sense of the set of
exposed operations on a given type. Is an API a kind of DSL? A kind of
Embedded DSL?

Also,

"What is the difference between an EDSL and a DSL?" -- I've got a
vague intuition of the difference, but am unsure how to particularly
delineate them.

Also, any good introductory papers/books/other resources on DSLs and
how to design, build and use them would be _lovely_.

/Joe