[Haskell-cafe] Creating an alias for a function

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 09:13:49 EDT 2009

Hello Deniz,

it depends. what i see with ghc 6.6.1:

C:\!\Haskell>runghc test.hs

test.hs:1:6:
    Ambiguous type variable `a' in the constraint:
      `Enum a' arising from use of `fromEnum' at test.hs:1:6-13
    Possible cause: the monomorphism restriction applied to the following:
      ord :: a -> Int (bound at test.hs:1:0)
    Probable fix: give these definition(s) an explicit type signature
                  or use -fno-monomorphism-restriction

C:\!\Haskell>ghc --make test.hs
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( test.hs, test.o )
Linking test.exe ...

test.hs:

ord = fromEnum
main = print (ord 'a')