[Haskell-cafe] Network.Curl and posting XML data

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Oct 7 07:08:01 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+hs at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> mf-hcafe-15c311f0c at etc-network.de wrote:
>
>> I am not aware of any SSL implementation in haskell either (even
>
> I really find this rather surprising. Ocaml has a very decent wrapper
> around Openssl that works rather well so it can't be that hard.
>
>> though I think it should go not into HTTP but into Crypto (which is a
>> neat piece of code, but needs a lot more work)).
>
> But why shouldn't it should go into Network.HTTP? All I want to do
> is a HTTP POST of text/xml data to a HTTPS server and retrieve the
> text/xml data response and the HTTP response code. Whether that
> URL is HTTP vs HTTPS shouldn't matter.
>
> With a sane API I should just be able to change from a HTTP url to
> a HTTPS url and have it JustWork (tm). To have to use a different
> library depending on whether I'm doing http vs https is just
> horrible.

There is more to SSL than securing transport, as I'm sure you know,
arguably the functions that deal with HTTPS should be in Network.HTTP,
but all the crypto and cert handling (including verification/checking
of attributes of certs) should probably be housed somewhere else.

/M