[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform - changing the global install dir

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:05:50 EDT 2009

I've installed the Haskell Platform to a non-default location
(D:\Apps\Haskell) to avoid some of the Win7 funniness over writing to
C:\Program Files. However, even though I've done this, the cabal
global install directory is still C:\Program Files\haskell. This has
been added to my PATH and is used by default.

Is there a way I could have specified that I want the global install
directory in D:\Apps\Haskell? I guess I could hack my cabal\config
file (and presumably change PATH) but that seems a bit ugly. Is the
use of Program Files even when the install was to somewhere else a
bug?

It's not a big deal - I can easily stick to user installs for now.

Thanks,
Paul.