[Haskell-cafe] What is a number. (Was: Num instances for 2-dimensional types)

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Mon Oct 5 11:33:20 EDT 2009

L.A. says:
> complex numbers are just pairs of numbers.
Later :
> Being a number is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Now, the readers of this forum will with horror witness a
discussion about the meaning of the word "just"...
American people will call it a discussion about "semantics", and
we, European will not understand why this word is used in a pejorative
context...

"Just pairs" have no natural arithmetic upon them. All the standard set
theory will not help in "making numbers", unless we inject the notion of
equivalence à la Gottlob Frege. And this is surely contextual, but perhaps
"the eye of the beholder" should be somehow objectivized...

BTW. the missing term of M.M. is DUAL NUMBERS.

Lennart continues :

> Everyone agrees that the Haskell numeric hierarchy is flawed,
> but I've yet to see a good replacement.

There *are* some "mathematical preludes" for Haskell. There were attempts
to emulate the structures of, say, the C.A.S. Magma in FP (I lost the