[Haskell-cafe] Market Place for Haskell development teams?

Robert Greayer robgreayer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:04:18 EDT 2009

Fairly late to the party on this discussion, but this captured my attention:

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Curt Sampson <cjs at starling-software.com>wrote:

> This may be somewhat anecdotal evidence, but I disagree with both
> of your statements here. I've rarely known anybody to use Java
> cross-platform in a non-trival way, barring a few major GUI-centric
> projects such as Eclipse. (I've far more cross-platform use of Haskell
> than Java myself.) And I know of nobody who did anything serious with
> download-execution of Java.

I agree with the download/execution part of this, but I'd be willing to bet
that it is incredibly common for Java developers to write and test code in
an environment very different from the actual deployment environment.  With
Java, it requires no special forethought to write an application on a
Windows or Mac laptop, be able to run all the unit tests, etc., locally, and
then deploy the production application to a Linux or Solaris or *nix server
(or a combination) without any required recompilation.  This is a pretty
powerful selling point for the JVM as a target platform, and everywhere I've
seen Java used, it's been taken advantage of.