[Haskell-cafe] I read somewhere that for 90% of a wide class of computing problems, you only need 10% of the source code in Haskell, that you would in an imperative language.

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 10:12:59 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>wrote:

> Sure. But what is a computer program? It's a *list of instructions* that
> tells a computer *how to do something*. And yet, the Haskell definition of
> sum looks more like a definition of what a sum is rather than an actual,
> usable procedure for *computing* that sum. (Of course, we know that it /is/
> in fact executable... it just doesn't look it at first sight.)

Is it? The list of instruction is just an abstraction layer built on top of
purely physical process of electrons and transistors; I'm not sure how much
imperativeness remains at this level? Not to mention the quantum mechanical
processes that take place... And that are also just mathematical models... I
mean, it really depends from which angle and at which detail you look at it,