[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: usb-0.1

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 09:53:50 EDT 2009

I would like to announce the release of usb-0.1, a Haskell library for
communicating with USB devices from userspace.

usb is implemented as a high-level wrapper around Maurício C. Antunes'
bindings-libusb which is a binding to the C library: libusb-1.* (
http://libusb.org ).

All functionality from libusb is provided except for asynchronous IO.
I'm still thinking about if and how I should add that.

As usual, install usb using cabal:

> cabal install usb

Or download and install it manually from hackage:

Or get the development source using darcs:

darcs get http://code.haskell.org/~basvandijk/code/usb

Comments and patches are highly welcome.

Note that this is the first release, so expect API changes in the future.

Note that my brother uploaded 'usb-id-database' to hackage. A small
library for associating usb identifiers like vendor, product, class,
subclass or prototcol identifiers with their respective names and vice

This can be helpful when trying to find the right device to operate.

In a short while, the package 'ls-usb' will be released. This is a
simple program for showing all the usb devices currently attached to
your system. It's a nice demonstration on how to use the library.