[Haskell-cafe] Splitting data and function declarations over multiple files

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 04:45:55 EDT 2009

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean with this co-algebraic approach,
but I guess you mean that functions - like move - don't work directly on any
datatype; you need to provide other functions that give access to the data.
But that's basically what type classes do no? And that's also related to my
earlier post of "strong duck typing" in Haskell.
At least also in C#, that's the way I usually write code that works on any
type, just make an interface or pass in a delegate.  I also know that my OO
background keeps pushing me in the wrong direction when it comes to Haskell
;-)

The collision handling approach is always interesting :)  In OO this is
usually solved using multi-methods or visitors:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_dispatch. What I usually did in old
games of mine to handle collisions is not look at the type, but at the
"collision specific features" of a type (which are again functions that
extract information from the object), and that is most likely again the
co-algebraic approach?