Fwd: [Haskell-cafe] Market Place for Haskell development teams?

Curt Sampson cjs at starling-software.com
Thu Oct 1 02:13:14 EDT 2009

On 2009-09-30 21:27 +0200 (Wed), Alberto G. Corona  wrote:

> > Do you really want, in 2020, to look back at the 2010 revision of the
> > Haskell standard and think, "we entrenched things that for a decade
> > everybody agreed was dumb"?
>
> I see no problem in haskell having both. experimental and fixed versions.
> Haskell 2020 for you and me and haskell 2010   for my commercial code. Both
> woukd ve maintained and enriched by far more people.

If so, why hasn't this happened with Haskell98?

>  Become more stupid may mean "give exactly what the people want" that
> transaltes to be more stable, give libraries, platforms etc.

Not entering the mainstream seems a small price to pay to avoid this fate.

Haskell has pretty nice niche right now that it's filling very well;
emptying this nich to move into competition for other niches that
already have languages filling them seems to me bad for everybody all
around.

I suspect that main hope a lot of Haskell promoters have (certainly this
is mine) is not that more people do what they do now but in Haskell, but
people do things in the better ways that Haskell allows. In other words,
we don't want to move into the mainstream, we want the mainstream to
come over here.

And as far as something like dealing with a changing language and
libraries, the mainstream already has well-established and popular
techniques for doing just: agile development. If anything, the FP
community could be learning from them on this score. So in some of your
marketing ideas, you're actually marketing to a problem that has better
solutions already in the mainstream.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson       <cjs at starling-software.com>        +81 90 7737 2974