[Haskell-cafe] Help mixing pure and IO code

Hector Guilarte hectorg87 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 22:36:28 EST 2009

One time I needed to do use a random number in some places of a completly
pure program so I made a infinite list of random numbers and passed it
around all the time in the functions as they where called, using the head of
the list I passed to the function whenever I needed a random number and
returning a tuple which it's second element was the tail of the random
numbers list e.g.

f:: [int] -> (a,[Int])
f randomList =
    let usedRandomNumber = g $ head randomList
    in (usedRandomNumber,(tail randomList))

or even something like:
f:: [int] -> (a,[Int])
f randomList =
    let (usedRandomNumber,newRandomList) = g randomList
    in (usedRandomNumber,newRandomList)

where g:: [int] -> (a,[Int])

The actuall code for doing this is: (Warning, it uses unsafePerformIO, just
for the seed of the random Generator, I really don't think it would do any
harm)

rand :: (RandomGen g, Random a) => (a,a) -> g -> [a]
rand range gen = as
     where  (a,b) = split gen      -- create two separate generators
            as = randomRs range a  -- one infinite list of randoms

seed :: Int
seed = fromInteger (unsafePerformIO getCPUTime)

mygen  = mkStdGen seed

infinito:: (Num t,Random t) => [t]
infinito = [ x | x <- rand (1,1000000) mygen]

infinito is the function that you need to call in your code that will give
you the infinite list of random numbers which will be evaluated lazyly...

Hope you can use this...

About the prompt thing, that you'll have to wait for another answer or use
what they have already told you,

Greetings,

Hector Guilarte