[Haskell-cafe] namespaces for values, types, and classes

pbrowne Patrick.Browne at comp.dit.ie
Sat Nov 28 16:42:18 EST 2009

>> Duncan Coutts wrote:
>> Does anyone know why types and *values* are in separate namespaces but
>> classes and types are not?
>
> I think it's because you cannot currently distinguish them in module
> import/exports.

My beginners understanding is that all imported types, functions, and
classes must have either a unique signature or use qualified names such as;

Data.List.sum [1,2,3]

Question 1) How do *values* come into namespace issues?
Question 2) Is the same dot notation used for types and classes?
Question 3) Instances are not named so can they be imported?

Pat