[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANN: NoSlow - Microbenchmarks for array libraries

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sat Nov 28 14:13:19 EST 2009

Duncan Coutts schrieb:
> On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 09:29 -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Henning Thielemann
>> <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>>
>>         I found that the dependency on Cairo and GTK originates from
>>         criterion. I have to build criterion with 'cabal install
>>         -f-chart criterion'. Unfortunately I cannot do 'cabal fetch
>>         criterion' in order to look into the cabal file, before the
>>         dependencies are resolved ...
>

>> Really? If cabal fetch runs the build depsolver before trying to
>> download a package, that seems like a bug. Have you reported it?
>
> It's not a bug, it's a feature! :-)
>
> Henning, you want "cabal unpack" so you can study the package contents.
>
> The fetch command is mainly so you can fetch packages and then install
> them when you're offline. You'd be jolly annoyed if it missed
> dependencies.

I well see the benefits of the current behaviour of 'cabal fetch' and
according to the name 'unpack' I didn't expect it could be the solution
of my problem. Duncan has explained kindly the issue in:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/612
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/423

However I have still the problem, that once criterion is installed
without gtk and cairo, then 'cabal install' still wants to download them
 when I install packages that import 'criterion'. :-( Bug or feature?