[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re: implementing recursive let

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 14:53:34 EST 2009

The problem is that ErrorT makes any argument to mdo *much* more
strict, and therefore much more likely to loop.

This is because each action needs to know whether the previous action
was successful before it can continue.

Notice that when you got it to work, you *always* return "Right v";
that is, you never actually have an error.

If you want to avoid introducing bottoms into your code, I would avoid
using fix/mdo except in cases where you can prove that the code is
non-strict.  You keep running into cases where your code is more
strict than you would like which is introducing the bottoms.

To understand this better, consider the following function:

fixEither :: (a -> Either e a) -> Either e a
fixEither f = x where
    x = f a
    (Right a) = x

Here, f *cannot* attempt to do anything with its argument until it is
absolutely known that f is returning a "Right" value.

Perhaps there is a different way to write this interpreter that avoids
needing to tie the knot so tightly?  Can you split recursive-let into
two stages, one where you construct the environment with dummy
variables and a second where you populate them with the results of
their evaluations?  You might need some sort of mutable thunk that you
can store in the environment, which makes sense to me; in GHC Core,
"let" means "allocate a thunk on the heap".

  -- ryan