[Haskell-cafe] namespaces for values, types, and classes

Sebastian Fischer sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Fri Nov 27 05:07:20 EST 2009

Dear Café,

types and values are in separate namespaces. So, we can write

      data Name = Name

where the first `Name` is a type and the second is a value. However,
classes are in the same namespace as types. We cannot write

      class Name a where ...
      instance Name Name where ...

Class contexts and types appear in different contexts just like types
and values (unless I'm missing something). I googled for the reason of
this design choice but found nothing.

Does anyone know why types and values are in separate namespaces but
classes and types are not?

Cheers,
Sebastian

--
Underestimating the novelty of the future is a time-honored tradition.
(D.G.)