[Haskell-cafe] Oprhan instances (Was: Some help needed to start Haskell with Yi)

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Nov 26 13:44:11 EST 2009

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 19.11.2009, 03:29 +0100 schrieb Daniel Fischer:
> Perhaps the very best method is to contact the author/maintainer of
> packageY and say you need the instance.

but this might not be desirable when the data type and the class
definition are in separate packages, and the author of the package with
the data type is not willing to add additional dependencies to his
package (which is a valid goal).

Or how would you proceed if you need a Binary instance (from package
binary) for UTCTime (from package date), as I do in arbtt?

Greetings and thanks,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner