[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: deepseq-1.0.0.0

Dean Herington heringtonlacey at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 17 22:48:19 EST 2009

At 11:00 AM +0000 11/17/09, Simon Marlow wrote:
>I've just uploaded deepseq-1.0.0.0 to Hackage
>
>   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/deepseq
>
>This provides a DeepSeq class with a deepseq method, equivalent to
>the existing NFData/rnf in the parallel package.  I'll be using this
>in a newly revamped parallel package, which I hope to upload shortly.
>
>Cheers,
>	Simon

The documentation claim that "The default implementation of 'deepseq'
is simply 'seq'" is not exactly right, as `deepseq` and `seq` have
different signatures.  Which raises the more interesting question:
Why did you choose a different signature?  And, would a version of
`seq` with the same signature as `deepseq` be useful?

Dean