[Haskell-cafe] Status of TypeDirectedNameResolution proposal?

Neil Brown nccb2 at kent.ac.uk
Tue Nov 17 07:33:00 EST 2009

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> | What's the status of the TDNR proposal [1]?
>
> It's stalled.  As far as I know, there's been very little discussion about it.  It's not a trivial thing to implement, and it treads on delicate territory (how "." is treated).
Having skimmed the page, it seems like the re-use of "." is one of the
major difficulties of the proposal.  Would it be possible to use "->"?
It has been used for accessing members in C and C++, so it is not too
unusual a choice.  It is already special in Haskell so it wouldn't break
anyone's code -- but do its other uses (case statements and lambdas)
mean that it would cause problems in the grammar if re-used for TDNR?

Neil.