FW: [Haskell-cafe] Status of TypeDirectedNameResolution proposal?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 17 07:29:05 EST 2009

[Resending, this time with link; sorry]

| What's the status of the TDNR proposal [1]? Personally I think it is a
| very good idea and I'd like to see it in Haskell'/GHC rather sooner
| than later. Working around the limitations of the current record
| system is one of my biggest pain points in Haskell and TDNR would be a
| major improvement. Thus I wonder if someone is actively working on
| this proposal?

It's stalled.  As far as I know, there's been very little discussion about it.  It's not a trivial thing to implement, and it treads on delicate territory (how "." is treated).  So I'd need to be convinced there was a strong constituency who really wanted it before adding it.

I've added an informal straw poll to the bottom of [1] to allow you to express an opinion.

Also I'm not very happy with the "stacking operations" part, and I'd like a better idea.

Simon

[1]   http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/TypeDirectedNameResolution