[Haskell-cafe] Re: Writing great documentation[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

John O'Donnell jtod at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Sat Nov 14 06:52:30 EST 2009

I agree with Duncan's comment:
> I rather like the idea of using markdown (pandoc) for separate
> non-reference docs like man pages, tutorials, user guides etc rather
> than trying to make haddock do everything.

In one of my projects (Hydra and Sigma), I use pandoc for the bulk of
the documentation, and integrate this with haddock documentation for the
parts of the documentation that haddock can do (which is a small part of
it).  This is all coordinated by a (rather clunky) Setup.hs.  The whole
thing isn't very elegant, but it works robustly on both Linux and
Windows.  That's a big advantage of pandoc: you can install it with
cabal and use it in your Setup, so it isn't necessary to do any shell
scripting, which can cause portability problems.  I'll attach the
Setup.hs file.

One of the central issues here is *where* the documentation files go.  I
don't like the existing situation, where haddock documentation goes into
a standard place, and presumably other documentation goes somewhere
else.  It's surely better to have all the documentation for a package in
one directory, with all the parts linked together.  So my setup makes a
directory, builds the haddock and pandoc pieces of the documentation,
copies (or build)  it all into the directory, and then the contents of
this directory is listed under data-files in the cabal file.  The result
is that building the system produces a complete self-contained directory
and the executable application is able to find its own documentation
files.  This is usful in a GUI program, for example, where it's nice to
make the documentation availble under the Help menu.

Something along these lines (with a cleaner design) would be generally
useful.

John O'Donnell