[Haskell-cafe] Re: Opinion about JHC

Braden Shepherdson Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 22:44:22 EST 2009

This worked for me, though that was quite a while ago. Presumably it
still works. I don't remember doing any magic, just using the Maemo
cross-compiler to build the output of jhc.

The only annoying part was having to build with jhc outside the
scratchbox environment and then build the C output inside the
scratchbox. This is necessary because jhc is not self-hosting and I
couldn't get GHC to build for Maemo.

The attempts to build GHC (back in the 6.8.2 days -- supposed
cross-platform bootstrapping works again in 6.12, maybe it'll work now)
and the success with JHC are documented at [1]. Actually, I just looked
and Dustin Weese succeeded where I had failed, and got an unregisterized
6.8 to bootstrap to Maemo.

I've since learned ARM(v4) assembly for an embedded systems course, I
might look into writing a properly registerized ARM back-end for GHC
6.12, now that the back-end overhaul is complete. That's definitely a
Copious Free Time project, since I don't intend to be doing any ARM dev
in Haskell or otherwise.

Braden Shepherdson
shepheb

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ArmLinuxGhc