[Haskell-cafe] faster compiling for ghc

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 05:57:06 EST 2009

Hi,

I'd really love a faster GHC! I spend hours every day waiting for GHC,
so any improvements would be most welcome.

I remember when developing Yhc on a really low powered computer, it
had around 200 modules and loaded from scratch (with all the Prelude
etc) in about 3 seconds on Hugs. ghc --make took about that long to
start compiling the first file, and I think a complete compile was
around 5 minutes. It's one of the main reasons I stuck with Hugs for
so long.

Running GHC in parallel with --make would be nice, but I find on
Windows that the link time is the bottleneck for most projects.

Thanks, Neil