[Haskell-cafe] unboxed arrays restricted to simple types (Int, Float, ..)

Svein Ove Aas svein.ove at aas.no
Wed Nov 11 07:28:50 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Tillmann Vogt
<Tillmann.Vogt at rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried to use unboxed arrays for generating an antialiased texture. To make
> it easier to understand, here is the stripped down code that produces an
> error:
> What do you think?
It is generally acknowledged that the array types bundled with GHC
have serious shortcomings, such as for example the one you just
pointed out. There is not, however, a consensus on how to change them.

To solve your particular problem, I would suggest looking up the
storablevector package on Hackage, which I know can handle arbitrary
unboxed elements.

That said, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you the full
story. :-)

Svein Ove Aas