[Haskell-cafe] Haskell image libraries

Stephan Friedrichs deduktionstheorem at web.de
Sun Nov 8 10:50:22 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 16:34 +0200, Max Rabkin wrote:
> To add image support to fdo-notify, I need an image type. Looking
> through Hackage, I didn't find any image library with the following
> features:
> * Load from a variety of formats (at least PNG and JPG, I'd say)
> * Efficient per-pixel access, or a way to dump the image into a
> ByteString as a bitmap (I need to serialise them into the protocol's
> bitmap format)
> Preferably, it should be possible to construct images programmatically too.

What about the imlib bindings [1]? The only problem is, that imlib
doesn't provide a functional image type (you'll end up processing the
image in the IO monad), but it works quite well (I used it for my Piet
interpreter, which required basic image processing tasks like a
labelling algorithm).

HTH - Stephan

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Imlib

--
Früher hieß es ja: Ich denke, also bin ich.
Heute weiß man: Es geht auch so.

 - Dieter Nuhr