[Haskell-cafe] Haskell image libraries

Max Rabkin max.rabkin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 09:34:26 EST 2009

To add image support to fdo-notify, I need an image type. Looking
through Hackage, I didn't find any image library with the following
* Load from a variety of formats (at least PNG and JPG, I'd say)
* Efficient per-pixel access, or a way to dump the image into a
ByteString as a bitmap (I need to serialise them into the protocol's
bitmap format)
Preferably, it should be possible to construct images programmatically too.

Is there really no such library? It would be nice to have something
like a Haskell equivalent of the Python Imaging Library, which is the
de facto standard image library in Python and supports just about
every type of operation on images you could ask for.