[Haskell-cafe] Re: What's the deal with Clean?

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Sun Nov 8 03:36:42 EST 2009

L Spice <jadenb1729 at yahoo.com> writes:

>> Doaitse Swierstra wrote:

>>>One of this differences between Haskell and Clean I did not see mentioned in
>>> this discussion is that Clean does not allow so-called partial
>>> parametrisation. I.e. all function calls have to be fully saturated

>> I don't understand what you mean. Can you give an example ?

> I think the idea was that Clean doesn't support a syntax like "map
> (**2)"

This terminology is new to me, I would normally call that "partial
application".  Googling "partial parametrization" gives me some papers¹
that appear to use this term as a synonym.

I'm surprised that (if) Clean doesn't support it.

-k

¹ http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=5420616
  and  http://www.springerlink.com/content/wg64116566522061/