[Haskell-cafe] a problem defining a monad instance

Petr Pudlak deb at pudlak.name
Fri Nov 6 13:08:10 EST 2009

   Hi all,

(This is a literate Haskell post.)

I've encountered a small problem when trying to define a specialized
monad instance. Maybe someone will able to help me or to tell me that
it's impossible :-).

To elaborate: I wanted to define a data type which is a little bit
similar to the [] monad. Instead of just having a list of possible
outcomes of a computation, I wanted to have a probability associated
with each possible outcome.

A natural way to define such a structure is to use a map from possible
values to numbers, let's say Floats:

> module Distribution where
>
> import qualified Data.Map as M
>
> newtype Distrib a = Distrib { undistrib :: M.Map a Float }

Defining functions to get a monad instance is not difficult.
"return" is just a singleton:

> dreturn :: a -> Distrib a
> dreturn k = Distrib (M.singleton k 1)

Composition is a little bit more difficult, but the functionality is
quite natural. (I welcome suggestions how to make the code nicer / more
readable.) However, the exact definition is not so important.

> dcompose :: (Ord b) => Distrib a -> (a -> Distrib b) -> Distrib b
> dcompose (Distrib m) f = Distrib $ M.foldWithKey foldFn M.empty m
>   where
>      foldFn a prob umap = M.unionWith (\psum p -> psum + prob * p) umap (undistrib $ f a)

The problem is the (Ord b) condition, which is required for the Map
functions.  When I try to define the monad instance as

> instance Monad Distrib where
>     return = dreturn
>     (>>=)  = dcompose

obviously, I get an error at (>>=):
    Could not deduce (Ord b) from the context.

Is there some way around? Either to somehow define the monad, or to
achieve the same functionality without using Map, which requires Ord
instances?

    Thanks a lot,
    Petr