[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: feldspar-language

Emil Axelsson emax at chalmers.se
Fri Nov 6 00:28:09 EST 2009

Henning Thielemann skrev:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Emil Axelsson wrote:
>
>> I'm happy to announce the first release of Feldspar, which is an embedded
>> domain-specific language with associated code generator mainly targeting DSP
>> algorithms. The language is developed in cooperation by Ericsson, Chalmers
>> University and Eötvös Loránd University.
>>
>> Feldspar stands for *F*unctional *E*mbedded *L*anguage for *DSP* and
>> *PAR*allelism.
>>
>> The language front-end is available on Hackage:
>>
>>  http://hackage.haskell.org/package/feldspar-language
>
> I'm trying to get realtime signal processing with Haskell for long. I make
> progress, but slowly. Has Ericsson ever thought about using Haskell itself
> for signal processing? (But I think they already have Erlang?)

No, using Haskell directly is not an option (at least with current
compiler technology). Their performance requirements are very high, and
the signal processors have quite limited memory, so putting a Haskell
RTS on them wouldn't work.

Yes, Erlang is used in some applications, but that's more for "control
programs", not for numerical computations.

I hope you will succeed in making real-time signal processing in Haskell
work!

/ Emil