[Haskell-cafe] Master's thesis topic sought

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 5 17:11:50 EST 2009

Matus Tejiscak wrote:
> zygohistomorphic prepromorphisms

Please tell me this isn't a real technical term. o_O

As for concrete suggestions... I've always thought we could do more to
use static information about the program to aid runtime GC. It's no deep
secret that destructive updates are essentially like a compile-time /
coding-time GC operation. You determine before runtime that the old
version of the data will never be needed again, and hence update it
in-place. Making this kind of thing more automatic could be interesting
theoretically and practically. The other thing is connectedness; a GC
performs a sweep of a big chunk of memory to find live objects, but if
you somehow knew from compile-time analysis something about what the
runtime linking structure is going to be, you might be able to do
something interesting. (OTOH, laziness and sharing probably spoils this.)