[Haskell-cafe] Re: How to optimize the performance of a code in Haskell?

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:49:48 EST 2009

For me, the Haskell version is about 1.5x slower than the C++ version,
19.6 seconds compared to 12.9.  There wasn't an appreciable difference
between -O and -O2.

Which compiler (and version) are you using?

I got:

john$ g++ -O2 -o sph sph.cpp
john$ time ./sph 300

real	0m12.914s
user	0m11.015s
sys	0m0.326s

john$ g++ --version
i686-apple-darwin9-g++-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)

and

john$ ghc --make -O2 sph.hs
john$ time ./sph 300

real	0m19.606s
user	0m18.933s
sys	0m0.304s

john$ ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.10.4

on a recent model MacBook, OSX 10.5.8.

Cheers,
John